Thursday, June 7, 2012

From NBC News World Headquarters in New York....

This is gonna be tough to not leave anything out…a TON has happened this week.  I guess the most surprising thing is that it’s already been a WEEK!  It feels like I just moved into my housing at NYU this morning…

 My parents helped me move into Rubin Hall on the “campus (compared to Storrs I don't see any campus at all but whatever)” of NYU this past Sunday a day before my internship started at NBC.  It didn’t rain, the drive was easy going, we got a parking spot right next to the building, we got to check out some of the buildings around campus and take a test commute up to 30 Rock, everything just worked out perfectly.  When I walked into my room I got a little nervous because there were THREE beds!  I was hoping for a single…turns out all the rooms in Rubin this summer are singles…so I’ve got this triple with my own bathroom all to myself.  A small token I guess considering there is no A/C and I’ve been told (and absolutely believe) by people in the know that NYC gets incredibly hot in the summer.  Here are some pictures from that first day:

My hall in Rubin...the 14th floor btw

This is the outside of Rubin Hall looking uptown towards The Empire State Building

Rubin from across the road


My neighborhood is really nice, this is facing towards 4th Ave

Side view of Rubin from 10th Street

remember when I said 14th floor...this is mw looking up to count

hey, I'd like to buy a Chrysler here...can we make that happen?  No you say?

we decided to take a dry run up to 30 Rock to see how it'd be to take the Subway...this is The Today Show set in case you couldn't figure it out
Monday was orientation for the new intern team for the summer, it’s a great group!  There are 8 of us, 4 guys and 4 gals.  Apparently our offices are only a floor or two above where broadcasting legends like Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams have offices.  So when I heard that, I was thinking there’s a serious chance I’ll at least see one of my hero’s this summer.  What I did know was that I wanted to get a look at the Rock Center set…it was built long after my tour of NBC last summer.  Another note, the people I’m working with…the full-time staff…are awesome.  I was afraid they would be sort of anti-social and whatnot…I was totally wrong.  To give you an example, Local Integrated Media competes in a league against other divisions in NBC and shows from the other networks…and they invited the interns to play softball with them Wednesday night (I’m drawing a blank on who they played).  I so would have gone – even though I seriously doubt my possession of any discernible level of skill – but I had work…so I couldn’t go!  I’m getting ahead of myself though…as I’m leaving the office Monday, a gentleman a little shorter than myself bumps into me as he’s going through the revolving doors.  His head was down so I couldn’t tell who it was until he looked up.  As he said “oh, sorry” I was able to realize who it was…Bob Costas!  Son of a gun!  First celebrity spotted, and I’m only a day into my placement!  Also, here’s a look at my ID badge I have to wear around there…it’s such a chore for the full-time staff because you need it everywhere in the building…but I LOVE IT, c’mon it says “NBC” on it!



All down this hall are framed images of the 10 network-owned NBC affliates....NBC 30 is up here!

The floor above us is NY 4..the network-owned NBC affiliate for New York City...I like this wall


after work Tuesday I realized I had 24 hours before I had to go back to work..so I decided to take a walk down town to see Ground Zero...this is a look of One World Trade from around where I live

archway into Washington Square Park...the center of the NYU campus

first FDNY station house sighting; about 10 blocks up from Ground Zero...no doubt they responded...I wanted to go up and talk to them, to thank them...but I know it wasn't my place to, so I just kept those thoughts to myself

getting closer!!  It's tough to qualify emotions...this building stands for a heck of a lot more than potential office space

looking down a random side street

The bottom of One World Trade







I thought this was a dramatic shot

On a happier note...I get to work HERE...any day I want to come in pretty much!

temporary pass my first day....


BAM!  The good stuff by the top of the second day

So Monday and Tuesday I work a standard day, 8 am to 3 pm.  Wednesday and Thursday I work 3 pm to 10 pm.  My commute the first 2 days of the week is pretty standard…the subway is kinda ehh…I was spoiled with The London Underground…that thing is incredible and as of right now, NYC doesn’t come close to matching them.  I digress…again (sorry, I’m just so excited about everything right now); I wanted to talk about my commute Wednesday and Thursday nights.  They were small adventures to say the least…Wednesday night the train didn’t stop at the right station I knew how to get home from.  So of course, the exit lets out to a very rowdy street, so I’m totally confused and caught off guard in addition to coming out of a station I’d only walked by the afternoon before (I took a walk down to Ground Zero to see the progress on World Trade One up close in personal).  This situation also taught me my iPhone is totally useless if you’re relying on it to tell you which direction you’re facing in…I walked in practically a full circle before figuring out the right direction to go in.  Had I walked in a straight line in the correct direction the first time around it would have taken 10 minutes…instead it took 25 minutes to get by to my dorm…so that was fun.  Take this, but then add in how when I got into work Wednesday I rode the elevator up with the venerable Tom Brokaw, and one could say in sum it was a good day.  As I got into the elevator, I was looking down to my phone to text my mom to let her know I hadn’t been ubducted by aliens, and a guy walks in to the elevator…so what, it’s a guy.  I slowly look up, seeing this pristine blue jacket with 2 sets of buttons on either side, then I make eye contact with this guy my brain is going all out to identify.  He’s standing there, looking at me looking at him, chomping on a chocolate ice cream cone…and I place it…TOM firkin BROKAW!!!  On the floor below me!  I’m gonna figure out how to get down there and see his office or something….I wanna know how they do it, how are the likes of Brokaw and Williams so talented?  The young woman I work with Wednesday and Thursday nights offered an alternate way to go back Thursday night…and somehow I still managed to wander into Times Square to catch the Q train I should have caught a block or so uptown…God I miss The Underground!




There's so much to do in the city, people are gonna come visit, I might go to visit some people...all in all, an exciting time!

Over all, a great day; a great first week; I can’t wait for the next 9!


“I have never spent a day in my adult life where I didn't learn something”
~Peter Jennings, former anchor of ABC News

That - for the record - soooooo applies to me

Until next time, stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment